My best friend and her daughter Lily (who is basically my niece), came up with a cheer party theme for Lily’s 12th Birthday party. They chose the colors green, black, and gold for Lily’s cheer team. I will go over the cute details that we came up with to make an outdoor space turn into the perfect pre-teen party!
I decided to try to make my first ever balloon garland. Thanks to Instagram (@mrsalanadawn specifically) I found a method that was inexpensive and fairly easy. It really didn’t take much time at all since I had some help blowing up the balloons while I put the balloons together on the fishing line.
I was SO excited to make the balloon garland for the first time! Like I planned it for a week! I found so many things for it on Amazon and Hobby Lobby. I will link what I used below for the balloon garland. This made for an awesome photo backdrop.
Meagan Diemert is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
How to make a balloon garland:
- Balloon Air pump – because you have to blow up so many balloons! I didn’t count how many exactly but I’d say at least 50 or more.
- Assorted Balloon Colors – I chose green, gold, and black for the color scheme of the party. When I blow them up I made them all different sizes.
- Fishing Line – This is what you feed the balloons on to. I would suggest buying at least 10 feet of it depending on how big you want the balloon garland to be.
- Plastic Needle – You use the plastic needle to feed the fishing line through the balloons.
- Thumb Tacks – I tied the balloon garland on to the thumb tacks that I stuck in the wood fence outside.
- Ribbon – I used assorted ribbon to make cheer bows to randomly place throughout the garland and back drop.
- Custom Letter Balloons – I got balloons to spell Lily’s name and put them under the balloon garland.
- Bows – I put these around the balloon letters. They just twist tie on.
- Finger Protectors – These were a life saver! My fingers started to hurt from tieing so many balloons!
So basically, I blew the balloons up with the air pump. That thing works amazing!!! I had help blowing up the balloons so it went fast! One person used the pump and another person tied. Then after I had a bunch of balloons done I started stringing them onto the fishing wire. I made sure to assort the colors and sizes for some texture.
The wind made the balloon garland move around so it was a little tricky to get it to stay. We finally were able to use thumbtacks to tack down the ends of the balloons to the fence. We secured just enough for it to stay in place.
Cheer Themed Birthday Cake
For the cake, my best friend Heather baked a cake and cupcakes. She ordered a custom cheer cake topper on Ebay that says “Lilianna” on it. Then she got stars for the cupcakes. I ordered macarons from my favorite macaron lady, Anna’s Goodies. She also threw in a few marshmello type treats for us to try. She’s so sweet!
Pre-Teen Birthday Hangout Spot Outside
Heather had this amazing idea to create a little spot for Lily and her friends to chill outside and have their own space. She used an old papasan chair cushion that was from pier one and also combined two dog beds and put a cute sheet over them. The girls LOVED it!
The Perfect 12 Year Old Girl Birthday Present
The new popular thing that all the kids want is a hoverboard! I found this one at Target for under $200! They also have tons of options on Amazon (that’s where I bought her brothers hoverboard). Let’s just say I win the coolest auntie award! lol
Besides the decorations I showed above the only other things we really had were green table clothes for the tables outside that everyone ate at. On the tables she put cheer pom poms. It was a great decoration and it held the table clothes down when the wind picked up.
I hope this blog was helpful!